Crash, bang, wallop what a picture!

Well what an interesting day. It started out pretty normal really, having a cuppa with my niece then starting work at 4 pm. At 5:21 pm though it all changed when a learner driver crashed into me!

Broken computer
Broken computer

There I was working away on the computer and minding my own business when there was an almighty bang, and the computer lifted in the air, dropped down onto the keyboard then fell onto the floor. Bye bye computer! You can see from this shot the keyboard missing a key, the legs were also broken off the back. The computer screen is totally shattered. It’s an all in one computer, not just a monitor.

I had been aware of the learner reverse parking around me for some time. It’s common practise on Team Valley trading estate for learners to practise all their manoeuvres and I’m fairly used to it however this one was distracting and I’ve no idea why. When I felt the bang I knew instantly what it was.

Broken bumper
Broken bumper

I thought initially her foot had slipped off the clutch, however I found out later that the car was an automatic so how she managed to ram me so hard when the instructor had dual controls I’ll never know.

You can see the broken light cluster here, and the red marks on the bumper denote where I had repaired the fibreglass last year. It’s split now everywhere where I repaired it and many other places too.

Broken van 2
Broken van 2

The metal strip above the bumper denotes where the floor is and that whole section is bowed inwards. If you look in this photo you can see that the compression of the bumper had also pushed in the wood structure behind it and folded and creased the aluminium skin. It’s not apparent but it’s also dislodged the gas locker. It’s the same on the other side, so that whole skirt and wheel arch assembly needs to be renewed on both sides.

There’s also a weather baffle that was ripped off and some other bits and pieces. I reckon it’s going to cost about £3,500 to repair.

When I went outside the learner didn’t seem that upset really, and the instructor who got out of the car was about 8 feet tall and only had one arm. He kept looking at the damage ans asking “What do you want to do?” I said “Well as you’re asking so much what is it you want me to do?” He clearly wanted to settle cash but when I said I guessed it would cost about £3500 in repairs he changed his mind and said he would ring me later with insurance details that he could not remember. Hmmm.

Anyway so I told him if he rang the next day I’d let him know an estimate of repair costs as I was headed up to a place that repaired campers then he could make his decision. He seemed happy with that and shook my hand with his left hand (the only one he had) and off they went.

[tb_google_map]

inject some happiness

Took the van to Durham Auto Services at Beamish this morning to have the injectors checked. Apparently everything is fine there, but the mechanic reckoned when he drove it the clutch clipped slightly, and this could account for the extra fuel use. Hmmm. The clutch bite is right at the top of the pedal, but I can still wheel spin in 2nd gear. (Don’t ask!) Can you do that if your clutch is worn? He could be right I have no idea, it’s something worth thinking about.

Anyway he checked the diagnostic and it said Mass Air Flow fault. You may recall that debacle way back with the K and N filter. I finally slung that filter in the bin and since then I’ve not had a single problem. However, I knew the EMS has been cleared in the last 12 months so there must be a fault somewhere. He checked the air filter and whilst dirty, it wasn’t really bad. I did note that the rubber seal on the filter housing was missing. The mechanic said they don’t use one but they do, and the last time the air filter housing was disassembled was when Peugeot Newcastle had it. Say no more….I bought a new filter anyway, under £20 from Euro Car Parts on Team Valley. Out of curiosity I priced up the seal but you can’t get it, you have to buy the filter housing. £96!! hahaahahah

So, the conclusion is, the injectors are fine, the air filter is now replaced, brakes are fixed, (need to replace the load balancer) and there is still no clear indication of why I am getting almost 100 miles less per tank than I used to.