Sofa rebuild

So the story is, I was taking some colleagues down to the Isle of Wight festival, and 2 of them were very large men. At some point on the journey back one of them said they had felt the sofa ‘give’ when I braked hard. I hadn’t braked hard, so I was unsure what he meant but when I looked, the frame of the sofa had been ripped out of the wall and flattened and snapped down onto the floor. 
I can only assume that given his massive bulk, he does not know how to carry himself and plonked himself down on the sofa without regard to what his weight may do. 

Anyway, later I discovered that the other sofa had suffered the same fate from the other guy, although not as catastrophic as the battery box and gas cupboard had acted as struts for the frame and prevented it from snapping and hitting the floor like the first one. 

It’s taken me months to get round to fixing them partly as I was so busy with other things, and partly because I imagined it to be a very difficult job. I am absolutely hopeless with a saw and can’t cut a straight line to save my life. However…this month I got round to doing one.

I was fed up of not being able to put the bed up, and fed up of it just being broken so as I had a week off work I decided to take the bull by the horns. It turned out to be time consuming, it took me 2 full days to finish it off. But part of that was not knowing how to dismantle the sofa in the first place and taking my time to make sure I did a good job given my lack of wood working skills. 

Now I don’t do videos normally but a friend asked me to see pictures of the job. I had only taken a couple so I made a video of the completed job, explaining a little bit about what I did. Here it is for your enjoyment. 
I would say that the bed is now 10 times more reliable and sturdy than when I bought the van, it was sooooo badly made and weak that to be honest I am very surprised it hasn’t broken before now just with my weight. 
Anyway, here it is, comments welcome.

Engine rebuild

I found a company in Paisley called Premier Engines. They pick the block up, rebuild it and send it back for £1284. That finally happened last week and on Friday I received an email to say they had tested the block and there were no further problems so it will take between 5 and 10 working days to rebuild.
When it gets back it needs new timing belt and a few other bits and pieces and the MOT will be due, so the spending isn’t finished yet. The final bill is probably going to be about £2500 however I ought to have at the end of that a van with a totally refurbished engine and gearbox so, fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong.

Whatever anyone else says, I will never own another Peugeot in my life, I’m put off them forever and not just the lack of reliability, but the sheer extortionate cost of parts.

An interesting side story comes from when I tried to pay Premier engines so they start the repair.
I logged into internet banking and filled in the online forms to pay them using bank to bank transfer. However Nationwide stopped me saying as it was a new payee that hadn’t been paid before I had to have my electronic card reader to get the code from. The reader is in the van so I rang them to explain and they said telephone banking was automated so it too would need the card reader. I said well no problem, can you please do it. They said no they don’t have the ability.
After a short and frustrated discussion I asked for a supervisor who confirmed, without the card reader I could not make any payment. premier engines does not take card payments over the phone due to high levels of fraud, so as this occurred Friday morning I would have to wait another 3 days before I could pay them by going into a branch and get the job started.
The principle that I cannot spend my money how and when I wish to because the bank controls when and how I have access is to me a huge problem and not fair or right. I understand their need to be secure but they have a responsibility to establish security that does not result in people not being able to spend their money.

So I’ve raised a formal complaint with Nationwide because this is the 3rd time I have been stopped from spending my money by their practices and it simply isn’t acceptable.

I logged onto Santander as I had enough in that backup account to pay the garage so I did that. Their security sent me a one time code to my phone, I typed that into the online payment form and hey presto, the bill was paid! Thank God for Santander! Oddly when I went back to Nationwide to transfer funds to the Santander account to replace what I’d just spent, that transaction was also blocked despite Santander being a named payee! In frustration again I used the app on my phone and that allowed me to pay Santander immediately! No consistency or sense in how this all works so I am going to continue to make a formal complaint about the bank to the ombudsman in the hope that if enough other people also complain, the bank may eventually change it’s practices.

In the meanwhile I am staying with my friend in the lakes while all this is going on. By the time I get my van back I’ll have been staying with her for 3 weeks, so massive thanks to her and I shall have to find a way of making it up to her for being such a fabulous friend.