Damned leak

The rain has been almost non stop here for nearly 2 weeks now. And I went into the wardrobe for something and there it was, a leak. Really bad too. So bad that my brand new, never used Canon printer was actually so full of water that I had to put it in the sink to drain out before throwing it away.

Spare towels, shirts, coats everything had to be taken out and I found a laundrette to wash them all toute suite. Of course the wardrobe itself was soaked. After an inspection it was clear what had happened. When I was sheltering from the 113 mph winds on Skye I parked in the lee of a tall wall beside some pine trees. I was barely bothered by the wind but I recall a scraping sound as a branch tickled the roof. I think one of them must have hit the gas flue and made it loose and so there was  basically a large hole in the roof for 3 days in pouring rain.
Still, at least I know what it was and it was fixed easily, simply tighten the locknut up and make sure the rubber seal was making a seal on the roof.

That part of the roof has leaked on and off for years now ever since Isatlan messed up when fitting that accursed satellite dish. The last time it was fixed was back in 2012 when I was last in Scotland and I wondered if that was the last I’d know of it lol

Cue that dehumidifier…sometimes things just happen for a reason eh?

Another leak, updated

This time I can’t blame this on Musa and Isatlan lol
I’d noticed with all this wet weather that there was a small amount of water coming from under the fire. I just wrote about it here. Sure enough, it was coming down the flue and ending up on the floor under the carpet. When I repaired the leak from when Musa fitted my satellite dish in 2006, as a precaution I had used some sealant as I knew the flue was leaking then. The sealant comes in a roll about an inch wide and I had used enough to form a base underneath the rubber that the flue pipe sits on. Clearly this sealant is useless because that’s where the leak is.

I went to Canwell Caravans who have had their place revamped and it looks really nice now. They had a flue pipe in for £7.99 and since fitting it it’s rained non-stop but no more leak.

The scary thing was that as I was replacing the pipe, I noted that the wood under the aluminium roof is so sodden that the first 3-4 mm actually falls apart when touched with a finger. 🙁  This will be as a result of the leak that went undetected for years and I hope this doesn’t weaken the roof!

Leak!

No, not the veg, the box on the roof that Isatlan fitted for the satellite cables Grr!

I’ve been trying to get to Scotland for the winter and I’m stuck here sorting problems out and now that has started leaking. It was the devils ow job to get it off but once it was off it was clear it had been leaking for some considerable time. The wood is soft and warped under the aluminum on the roof.

I bought a new box from CES and some water proof sealant. The sealant alone was £15!! Never mind if it works I’m happy.  I also bought a box of sealant which is in a roll. It’s a gooey sort of mastic on a roll, it’s about an inch wide and 3 metres long. It says it’s waterproof so it can’t hurt to add some of that as a bed for the box to lie on, and to seal under the rubber seal of the flue. Just an added precaution. Let’s ope that’s an end of it.

Adios Datastorm

The satellite is clearly not ever going to work properly, and despite all the promises from Barry Lieberman at Ethnet, he has failed to get it to work and the only thing he’s good at is collecting his £70 per month connection fee.

I’ve decided to call it a day and cancel anything to do with Datastorm.  £8,000 totally wasted. I’m gutted but what can you do? Trading Standards don’t want to know as “the case is too complex”, Isatlan are out of the picture and Ethnet simply don’t take my calls anymore. Speaking to Datastorm in the US it’s apparent that Isatlan sold me a second hand mount which was at least 18 months old when I got it, however there’s nothing they can do.

My dongle has always proved reliable anyway so I will stick with that for the time being. Amazing how a £30 piece of kit smaller than a packet of cigarettes can outperform an £8,000 satellite system…

All change!

So, I sold the LNB, the dish, the modem and the controller back to Isatlan for £1,200 and Ethnet replaced them all for just under £1,000.

I now have the F1 mount and new dish, new LNB, DW7000 controller and the HN7000s Modem.

Nick, the engineer for Ethnet got it working straight away.

Fingers crossed.

The truth is out there…

I’ve been doing a bit of digging. No not in the garden…

It turns out after speaking to Tim Gibbs in the US office of Datastorm, that my rig is indeed second hand and was well over a year old when Isatlan sold it to me as brand new.

Isatlan in that case conned me, ripped me off, duped me with false promises and statements. I’ve contacted trading standards to see what can be done.

In the meanwhile I’ve been in discussion with Barry Lieberman from Ethnet. He’s near Royston and is the main UK importer for equipment from Datastorm. He reckons that if I ‘sell’ back parts of the kit to Isatlan and buy new from him, he guarantees to get it working. So I emailed Isatlan and they’re up for it so that’s what’s happening.